Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 9. Last day in Florida.

This was a day to throw away the map.  Route A1A all the way for 66 miles.  The wind was at my back for a good part of the dat which made riding easy.  I passed what has become the usual suspects of gorgeous houses on the Florida coast as well as many that are for sale.  A long day, I wound up camping at a state park.  It turned out that my campground was almost three miles on from the gate.  If I wanted to swim in the ocean, I had to go to another site so it was a day filled with logistics.  Since I am not cooking my own food, I had to go 5 miles each way for dinner.  It's not over until it's over.

Beauty and the beach!

Too many floors!

Scene  of the crime.
Yet the most interesting experience occurred on the ferry over the St. John's River.  I am the only bike about 10 cars.  The attendent tells me that I have to have my pack inspected.  It turns out that this is a Homeland Security regulation.  Okay, I think.  I get that.  But none of the cars are inspected.  So they are looking to see that there are no bombs on my bike but the cars go unchecked.  The employee was just doing his job and when I pointed out this contradiction, his body langauge acknowlegded it for the conundrum it was.  I suspect this is the way things are in security.  Could they inspect every car at every point?  No.  It would appeaer that we are not as "safe" as we would like to think.  Welcome to the real
world!

66 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment