Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 10. Welcome to Georgia.

Before I could get to Georgia, I rode on what was the orst road of the ride so far.  It was a four lane affair with big stores and fast traffic.  What made it so bad was that the shoulder was ribbed, making it impossible to ride on safely.  Of course, it was not possible to ride safey on the road either.  This is the designated bike route in the area.  A letter to the Florida Department of Transportation will follow.  A saw one bicyclist involved in an accident while I was this stretch--he wasn't hurt but it's only a matter of time.

I had gotten an early start so when I turned north, I was able to ride in the shade of the trees for hours.  That was good because when I lost the shade, the temperature was around 88 and the sun intense. 

Georgia is much more forested that Florida.  It is also the land of the coastal islands.  Again the Rockefellers and their ilk bought them for their own use.  As a result, much of the land is preserved and wild in public hands.

I gained the most elevation in one shot today as I climbed a beautiful modernistic bridge just before coming into Brunswick, my home for the night.




Homes sitting on and in the river


The bridge.


From the bridge out across the marshes to the islands and the ocean.



Sign of the day!

Does this mean she was good at baking bread?

1 comment:

  1. I'm just the person looking for that sign, David! LOL Keep up the great work. We are enjoying your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete